When you receive an instant message in EXACT, a notification is displayed to bring your attention to the message.
There are two ways for these notifications to appear.
- Windows 10 notifications
- Enabling/disabling Windows notifications for EXACT
- Original (old-style) notification
Windows 10 notifications
This option may be preferable on computers where you do not wish for pop-up messages to appear in the middle of your screen to distract you from work, such as charting or while taking an X-ray.
To use this option, you need to have your Windows notifications enabled. When enabled, your arriving messages will be shown as a notification pop-up.
Clicking on the notification will open the Message in EXACT. If the notification disappears before it is clicked on, it will go into the notification centre where it can be clicked on to open the message.
EXACT needs to be open for this to function, so if a message is clicked whilst EXACT is closed, then the login window will be brought up. To open the message, click again in the notification centre once login in as the correct user.
Enabling/disabling Windows notifications for EXACT
Notifications for EXACT can be enabled/disabled in Windows using the normal Windows methods. Make sure that notifications are on, and that they are enabled for EXACT.
Select Start in Windows.
Then select Settings.
- Select System
- Select Notifications & actions
- Scroll down to the section Get notifications from these apps
- Locate EXACT Dental
- Toggle the switch to On to enable or Off to disable
- You will need to change this setting per computer and per Windows user if different staff log in as different Windows users.
Original (old-style) notification
If you would prefer, you can use the original (old-style) instant message notification for all users.
- Log in as an EXACT Administrator.
- Go to Configure - Settings.
- In the Filter on field (bottom left of your screen) search for instant messaging.use toasts where possible.
- Double-click the setting
- Change this setting to 0
- Press OK
- Users may need to restart their EXACT (log out and back in) for changes to take effect.
Please Note: Panic messages will bypass the notifications and always appear in the main window, regardless of whether notifications are enabled or not.
This is due to their importantance, requiring users immediate attention.
When your notifications are not appearing, there may be a number of reasons.
This setting is a common cause when messages do not appear on screen.
- Click the square speech bubble in the corner or your Windows Task Bar.
- This will open your Manage Notifications menu.
- There are various options to select from.
- Locate Focus assist
- Click to change the status of this setting, it will toggle through the options Priority only, Alarms only, Focus assist and Off
- Change this to Off
- Request a colleague send you an instant message to test this has resolved the issue
- Alternatively, check your notifications are enabled.
Multiple instances of EXACT
If you have more than one instance of EXACT open on one computer or your user profile is logged into EXACT on more than one workstation.
- Open Task Manager in Windows.
- Navigate to Background processes.
- Locate dental.exe.
- Ensure you have saved any unsaved work.
- End all instances of dental.exe.
- Highlight an instance then click End task
- Repeat for all instances
- Instant messages should now open when selecting the windows notification alert.