Patient prescriptions can be issued, stored and viewed within EXACT.
This is performed from the Prescriptions tab inside the Chart tab of a patient file, to add this tab, see Chart activity tabs.
- Adding prescription items
- Issuing prescriptions
- Viewing a patient’s prescriptions
- Listing prescriptions
- Printing prescriptions
Adding prescription items
- Select Configure - Prescription items.
- Click the +1 button to display the Add Prescription window.
- Here you can add a Code, Details (description) and other details such as dosage instructions.
- If you wish for the line to be in bold, tick the Bold box.
- You can also select the options for Prescription item, Dispensary item or Antibiotics.
- Click OK to save the details.
- With a patient file open on the Chart tab.
- Select the Prescriptions tab.
- Click +1 to add a new prescription.
- This will open the Create Prescription window.
Notes: If the patient has a medical alert displayed in their Patient Record, it will also be displayed in this window in case the condition affects their medication.
- Before prescribing any medication, check the patient’s full medical history.
While some medical alert information is presented in the Prescription window, this is intended as a prompt when creating a prescription, and is not a substitute for reviewing the patient's full medical record in the Medical tab.
- If you are logged in as a provider, your ID will automatically appear in the Provider field.
If not, use the list button to select the provider who is authorising the Prescription.
- The Date field will be fixed to “today's” date.
- Click the Select Prescription Items button to select prescription items, or the Select Dispensary Items button to add items from the Dispensary.
- The procedure for each is the same.
- Select the items by ticking the checkbox next to each item.
- If a listed item has incorrect details, highlight the item then edit by clicking the edit e|d button.
- If the item you want to prescribe is not listed, but you know its details, click the +1 button to open the Add Prescription window, then add the item.
Tip: If there is an existing item similar to the one you wish to dispense or prescribe, you can choose this item and edit the details at the time you print the prescription or print the dispensary item.
- When you have selected all the items you wish to prescribe to the current patient, click the OK button.
- If you have just added prescription items and wish to add dispensary items as well, repeat the above procedure from the point of selecting the button, using the Select Dispensary Items button.
- When you have completed adding all items, click OK to create and print if required.
- Once a prescription is issued to a patient, a record is stored in the Prescriptions tab for future reference.
Viewing a patient’s prescriptions
On the Prescriptions tab select an entry then click the i button or double-click on any entry to display it on screen.
It's possible to view all prescriptions prescribed in your practice.
- Open the Transactions menu - List Items - List Prescriptions.
- A list of all prescriptions will be available on screen.
- You can print or email individual prescriptions from this list using the print button at the bottom of the window.
The Print Prescription dialogue enables you to print a patient's prescription once it has been issued (created).
If you have email enabled, you can also email a copy of the prescription to the patient, with a copy to the provider and/or specialist if required.
|Note: Before the prescription is printed, you can edit the details in the Print Prescription dialogue window. This is useful if the prescribed item is slightly different from the item stored in EXACT, for example, if you wish to prescribe 20 antibiotic tablets and there is only an existing item with 30 tablets. Editing the quantity on the label saves you from having to create a new item. The edited prescription details are saved against the patient's record rather than the original prescription item.|
You cannot edit a prescription in this way if you are reprinting it.
Please contact the EXACT support team if you need help modifying the layout to accommodate a new printer or label stock.
Procedure: Due to limits of label space, up to three items can be included on each prescription. If the layout file (PRX) enables it, these are positioned so as to enable printing on a label.
Once the prescription has been printed, the Prescription tab of the Chart window is updated to show what date the prescription was created, the first few words from the drug list, and is marked with a Print icon to indicate it has been printed:
The icons on the prescriptions tab represent prescription iems or dispensary items.
Once a prescription has been printed, if required, you can click the print button to reprint it.
If you preview the prescription without printing it, EXACT doesn't 'know' that you have not printed it, so will mark the item as printed. In this case, use the print button to 'reprint' it as described above.