You can cancel any future appointment, you are unable to cancel a past appointment. EXACT Admin users however can mark past appointments as Failed to Attend (FTA) or Complete.
- Cancelling an Appointment
- Cancel all appointments for one provider (cancel day feature)
- Changing a cancellation reason
- Cancellation Notes
- Unable to Cancel an Appointment (linked to a treatment)
Cancelling an Appointment
- Right-click the appointment in the standard Appointment Book and select Cancel Appointment...
(Or select the appointment and then click the Cancel button at bottom right of the appointment book).
- When the Cancellation dialogue displays, continue as described below.
Note: To discontinue the Cancellation (and leave the appointment as is), simply press ESC on your keyboard or click the Don't Cancel Appointment button.
- Select a Cancellation Reason , either from the Up/Down arrows, or from the Selector.
From the Selector you also have the option of editing and adding Reasons.
More information on managing cancellation reasons can be found here - Managing Cancellation Reasons.
- (Optional) Type Notes about this cancelled appointment. At the bottom of the Notes text box is a brief summary of the Patient booking history. In the sample image above, the Patient over 5 years has Cancelled once and Failed to Arrive (FTA) once.
- Click one of the options.
Clipboard: Move the appointment to the clipboard for dragging and pasting elsewhere (rebooking immediately). This appointment is not added to the Cancel List in the Cancels tab.
Short Notice List: Move the appointment to this list for recalling the patient at short notice, and add it to the Cancels List in the Cancels Tab
See also: Using the Short Notice List
Cancel List: Add to the Cancels Tab. The appointment is removed from the appointment book and added to the list in the Cancels tab, from where it can be easily dragged into a new time if required.
Do Not Rebook: Remove this patient appointment from rebooking consideration. This appointment is not added to the Cancel List in the Cancels tab, and it can only be viewed from the Patients Recall tab.
Cancel all appointments for one provider
The ability to cancel an entire days appointments per provider is available (from EXACT 13.846) from the provider appointment book column.
|Tip: If this feature is used part way through the day, the appointments will be cancelled from that time onwards.|
- Navigate to the day to be cancelled.
- Click the header of the providers column.
- Select the red 'cancel' circle.
- This will provide you with the cancellation prompt.
- Select a Cancellation Reason.
- Confirm the cancellation Message text is correct or choose an alternative template.
- Tick or untick the option to Print copy of appointments.
- Click Cancel Appointments to confirm you wish to cancel all the providers appointments for the selected day.
- The providers day will be blocked out to prevent accidental booking.
Please Note: The follow patient appointments will NOT be cancelled by the cancel day feature, these patients will need to be contacted by you and their appointments will remain in the appointment book until cancelled by you.
This feature is only available to practice with SMS enabled, contact our team today to find out more about how SMS can help your practice.
Find out more by speaking with our Best Practice Consultants.
Changing a cancellation reason
|Please Note: This can only be performed if the appointment is either today or in the future and has not been set as do not rebook.|
To change the reason,
- Highlight the cancelled appointment in the Cancels tab/Short Notice List (depending on the chosen option).
- Rebooking the appointment into your appointment book.
- Then selecting Cancel Appointment again with the correct cancellation reason.
To display the cancellation notes for a patient's appointment, double-click the clipboard or one of the patient's appointments to open the Edit Appointment window, then double click on the appointment from their appointment history list. This will reveal the notes in the "Notes about this appointment" area:
Unable to Cancel an Appointment (linked to a treatment)
When trying to cancel an appointment I get a message saying unable to cancel as linked to a treatment. How can I cancel the appointment?
This happens if the appointment you are trying to cancel has been booked through planned treatment at the time of making the appointment. To cancel the appointment, it needs to be unlinked from the treatment. To do this,
- Go to patient record, then the chart tab.
- You should see the appointment date and time against one of the appointments on the course of treatment.
- Double click on the appointment item.
- Click 'unlink appointment' then Click OK
You will now be able to go back to the appointment book and cancel the appointment.