This article covers configuring SNOMED in EXACT.
- Configuring SNOMED
- Adding codes to services
- Removing SNOMED codes from services
- Adding new SNOMED codes to EXACT
EXACT has a reduced set of SNOMED codes that the NHS Business Services Authority indicated would be required as a minimum. The list been extended a little to cover other common dental services and observations. Where possible these codes have been mapped by the Software of Excellence team to the standard list of codes that are shipped with a new install of EXACT. It is up to each dental practice to satisfy themselves that this mapping is correct, and that they are happy with any SNOMED codes linked to a charted service by default. Each practice must also go through any services that you regularly chart that are not in the standard list and add appropriate SNOMED codes.
- Configure - Services.
- Select the service you wish to edit, open the edit window by double-clicking or clicking the i button.
- Click Configure SNOMED.
- This will open the SNOMED Service Configuration window.
If the service is linked to any SNOMED codes, these will be displayed as per the first image below, if not a list of all available SNOMED codes will be displayed with the option to Add displayed beside the code.
Adding codes to services
To add a code to a service, after following the steps above.
- Start typing some text for the type of SNOMED code you want to add.
For example ‘Exam’. A list will appear with SNOMED codes related to the word or words that you typed.
- When you find a relevant code, click on Add next to any code/s you wish.
Tip: You can add more than one code to a service.
Once a service has one or more SNOMED codes assigned you can decide which if any of these codes should automatically be assigned to the service when it is charted. If you don’t choose any of the services, then the dentist will be asked to select from the list at the point of charting.
For any codes that you want to automatically be applied, tick the ‘Default in chart’ checkbox. You can select more than one default SNOMED code for a service. For example in our standard code list, the HEX (Hygiene and Exam) service has been mapped to both the Scale and the Exam codes.
- 234696006 Scale and polish teeth (procedure)
- 5880005 Physical examination procedure (procedure)
If you decide not to assign any SNOMED codes to a service, and that service gets charted, then the dentist will be offered a free choice of codes to add to the service each time it is charted.
Removing SNOMED codes from services
To remove a SNOMED code click on the remove button at the end of the line.
Adding new SNOMED codes to EXACT
If would like to map a SNOMED code that is not in the list that we have included please let your support representative know, and we will be able to make it available in an update. See below for an easy way to stay up to date.
In addition to the list of SNOMED codes originally suggested by the NHS, EXACT has the option for practices to add their own choices of codes to be mapped to a service. This is done through the ‘Configure SNOMED’ button on the edit service window.
To Add codes,
- Click on the Add/Edit Codes button in the bottom left if the code you want is not in the list.
- Use the search bar to find your code, but if it doesn’t exist click on the Create SNOMED Code button.
- The link in text will take you to the SNOMED CT library where you can browse all of the available codes. When you find the code you want to use copy its code and description into the appropriate fields. You can also give it a type to help with searching later.
- Save the SNOMED code and it will be placed in the list for you to map to your service.
- If you want to amend the description or type click on the ed button next to the code to change it. You can also delete the code if it was added in error.
|Please Note: Editing or deleting a code will affect all the services that it has been mapped too, including already charted items. Only use these options if you have just added the code and made a mistake whilst doing so. Deleting codes is not reversible.